Are you ready for the next challenge? Gear up and explore Pokemon Infinity Online
PI logo
Try the new on-the-go game that is based on the wonderful world of MonsterRanch!

Click here to visit it

IRC rule

Give us your thoughts on the updates and the game itself, both good and bad! We want to hear it all!

IRC rule

Postby Gergoth » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:12 am

IRC RULE : "18. Whenever a staff asks you to switch off your vHost (/hs off), you must do it." I'm curious as to the actual need of this rule, I know that if an IRCop wants it gone or off they can just remove it after all. So I'm wondering why mods on PBA now think they need that power personally. I did ask about it and Lyzier_34 said, "Lyzier_34 it evades bans". Given that the only person who I can personally thought of who heavily evaded bans was I_Love, and they didn't do it through use of vhosts I'm a little confused honestly about the reason is.
Gergoth
Trainers

Forum Pokedex:   33 Seen

Re: IRC rule

Postby Last » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:22 am

Well actually there are many people out there who doesn't like rules to be added because is simply puts restrictions on them.
You seem to be one of them.
And talking about this particular rule, some people use vhosts to hide their identity and they are too stubborn to reveal it.
And when we ask them to do so, they simply ignore.
With the help of this rule, we can simply ask them to switch off their vHosts to handle some situations. Its not like we are stopping you from using vHosts at all.
So, unless you're trying to troll people at the channels while hiding your identity, this rule shouldn't really bother you.
Thats all i can say, if you still have problem against this rule, simply behave and we won't have to use it against you. As simple as that.
Last
Gym Leaders

Forum Pokedex:   564 Seen

Postby Gergoth » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:34 am

But is it not already in the rules that we must use or ingame name? And last I heard so long as the ingame name exists we may use it. This seems like an unneeded rule. All you have to do is ask them for their ingame name and then if they refuse to reply kick them, if they really want to they can just change their ip anyway.
Gergoth
Trainers

Postby Last » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:44 am

First you had the topic at ban evasions and now its about ingame names.
Well, it has nothing to do with the ingame name or the usernames or whatever.
We had some situations in the past where people used to troll the channel hiding their identity.
It is too easy to group like 5 nicks to your main nick and then have different vHosts for each of them and create nuisance at the channels.
So when we want to ban such pricks, we need to know their actual hostname too. And thats where this rule can come handy.
Last
Gym Leaders

Forum Pokedex:   564 Seen

Postby John-117 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:22 pm

I think staff doesnt need more power since we got Alpha and Kairi as channel ops/halfops to deal with those abusers in the channel, if the staff want more control e.g. wants to see user's IP then it would be a security issue and thats just greedy for power. Only IRC ops should deal with this not the staff of PBA. Allowing staff more power will probably risk the network. Allowing more power would not be a solution but an problem to channel/network.

Offtopic: my opinion is changed

College Student • coder • Gamer

John-117
The Ultimate FAIL

Forum Pokedex:   449 Seen

Postby Rem » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:25 pm

Erm, it's not that we want more power, because that's not the case, I assure you. When we're banning someone with a vhost, it makes it more likely that they'll evade the ban, which in the end, will end up with a longer ban for evading. Also, we use it to compare hosts for other things. If someone accuses you for scamming them, we'll need to check if your host matches with the host they claim as the scammer. As I've said before to someone who didn't agree with the rules: we do not make pointless rules. We make rules based on what we've seen as a problem in the past. I don't think it is a huge request to ask a simple thing as "Could you turn off your vhost for a second?" Hope that shed some light on our mindset.
Usernames: Sakaa, JProcks, Rem
Rem
The Howling Ghost

Forum Pokedex:   558 Seen

Postby John-117 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:39 pm

Rem wrote:Erm, it's not that we want more power, because we that's not the case, I assure you. When we're banning someone with a vhost, it makes it more likely that they'll evade the ban, which in the end, will end up with a longer ban for evading. Also, we use it to compare hosts for other things. If someone accuses you for scamming them, we'll need to check if your host matches with the host they claim as the scammer. As I've said before to someone who didn't agree with the rules: we do not make pointless rules. We make rules based on what we've seen as a problem in the past. I don't think it is a huge request to ask a simple thing as "Could you turn off your vhost for a second?" Hope that shed some light on our mindset.

if they are constantly evading the channel why not report them to an ircop Im pretty sure channel evasion is against network policy. Also for scammed users why can't you just use vhost? I mean Alpha and kairi to help you match hostmasks with vhosts.

College Student • coder • Gamer

John-117
The Ultimate FAIL

Forum Pokedex:   449 Seen

Postby Telume » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:42 pm

Just so you guys know, we don't really deal with ban evaders on a channel level. We only really deal with them at a network level.
It's true that the staff (IRCops <---) have the power to remove vHosts, but we don't just do it for any reason. Usually, we only remove vHosts if they're being used to violate network rules.

KEEP IN MIND that network rules override channel rules so, since we don't really have a policy like that at the network level, Alpha and Kairi are only to really enforce this policy in #PBA.

So, what's this mean? If you don't like the policy in #pba, then don't join it, it's a completely free network and we can not (and will not) control what users do in their channel. Just keep in mind that if we get complaints about you, we will deal with you ;).

Just my 2 cents on the matter.
Telume
PBA Trainees

Forum Pokedex:   124 Seen

You have encountered a wild aianto!
This encounter has been added to your Forum Brawler Pokedex.

Postby Gergoth » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:02 pm

My own actually complaint was although closer to Halot's one not quite the same. Basically my problem is the idea that another one of the rules basically already removes the need for it, if someone is hiding behind a different nick that isn't their user you can just kick them for it. In a situation where someone is hiding behind a different nick and using a vhost as the example Last gave can be asked to use their ingame name, if they refuse, kick them. I'm not really sure why this rule is needed.
Gergoth
Trainers

Postby PrincessPhoenix » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:25 pm

Regarding this topic, in case someone missed this on IRC:

I'm not here. I'm currently inactive on this forum so listen to Nexus/TheAshMan83!
(since he's pretty much the only active mod here)

PrincessPhoenix
Gym Leaders

Forum Pokedex:   555 Seen

Return to Feedback